Monday, January 6, 2014

Mike McKenzie and the Embers (Crash)

Hello to all and happy new year. To start 2014 off I would like to feature a record by Mike Mckenzie and the Embers on Crash records. "My Summer Star" is a gem. It's a moody garage song with a nice beat. The band does a decent cover of "I Want to Do It" for the flip. The record label has a slight tear were the year of the copyright is. Its look like 1965, the numbers etched in the dead wax are SJW 8476 which is a Wakefield pressing number. Malcolm Chapman has a really cool website about all the different pressing facility's . http://sjw-wakefield-pressings.blogspot.com/2011/03/sjw-numbered.html  It shows the record was pressed in 1966. I would also like to thank Mike Markesich for giving me some tips about how to locate the numbers etched in the dead wax. Anyway if anyone has information about the band I would appreciate your comments.
                                                    Mike McKenzie and the Embers - My Summer Star

                                                       Mike McKenzie and the Embers - I Want To Do It

7 comments:

  1. what a perfect way to kick off the new year Johnny, My Summer Star is a true gem. Have a great 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael
    Have you ever heard My Summer Star before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the work you spend on the site and for sharing that wonderful music of the mid-60 (mostly unknown to me). Some look forward to each new release. Greetings from Portugalete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a record collector I come across some 45's that I know little about. I was hoping to spur conversation about the groups by the postings from people who are more knowledgeable than myself. In some cases that has been successful while others I am still waiting to learn more. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Johnnie, I have this band as from Fairhaven, MN. The SJW # dates it to August 1966.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Max for sharing this. I was way off on the bands location. As always I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete