Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Socialites (Scott)

Awhile back I came across this girls in the garage sounding record. I was reading that The Socialites might have been from the Lansing, Michigan area. Their song "Phooey Phooey On You" is only 1:37 long but it packs a wallop and was included on the Quagmire 5 compilation album. On the flipside the group does a garage version on the Every Brothers "Bye Bye Love".  The FM-324 number on the label is also in the dead wax of the 45. Although not being listed in the Fenton Records discography I'm thinking this may be a Fenton 45. If someone could provide information about this would be appreciated.

          Phooey Phooey On You

5 comments:

  1. These Socialites (there was another band by the same name from NY) were indeed from Michigan, but no Fenton release was ever mentioned. They released another single, Looking Out My Window/The Boat That I Row on National Electric Records in December, 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete
    I never heard either songs on the Socialites 2nd record. It would be interesting to hear the sound they had on the 45. I'm sure there are some garage bands who did covers of the Every Brothers but this was the first one I remember. Funny thing on a couple small parts of By By Love the lead singer belts out some snarling vocals that sounds a little like Joan Jett to me. The Merri Motor Company released a record on the Scott label that is listed in the Fenton discography. With FM on the label I was thinking "Fenton Music" and maybe it was overlooked. I appreciate you clearing that mystery up for me. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for everything you are doing here. Keep up the great work!

      Delete
  3. one of the very few Everly covers I dig

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing blog.....excuse me while I dig in!!!

    ReplyDelete