Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Diggin for Nuggets

Hello to all. I was digging around in some boxes of 45's and found a few that might stir conversation and bring some enjoyment to you. If you have any information about the groups featured please share.

After the break up of the Bad Seeds in 1966, the group's lead vocal and rhythm guitarist Mike Taylor went on to released two records on the J-Beck label. "I'm Nobody's Man" is from his first solo record in early 1967.
                                                                                   I'm Nobody's Man

The Scavengers were from the Lexington, Kentucky area . In the summer of 1966 the group released their only 45. Top Dog records was located in Louisville, Kentucky. Other notable groups like The Mersey Beats USA and the Rugby's also released 45's on the Top Dog record label. Both sides of the record have that cool mid 1960's sound. If you look closely there is a typo error on the "It's Only So Long" label. It's is misspelled If's.
                                                                                I Don't Need Her Now

                                                                                      It's Only So Long

There were several bands that called themselves the Minutemen in the 1960's. The Minutemen featured today were from Arlington, Virginia. The A side of the record "Why Do I Cry" is well known and has been included on various compilation albums. I would like to highlight the lesser known song on the B side "One Last Kiss". It is a really nice teen ballad.
                                                                                        One Last Kiss

Little is known about The Depoe Drifters. The record was released in 1969. I like "Sweet Sweet Love"
                                                                                     Sweet Sweet Love

7 comments:

  1. This blog is a ray of sunshine in troubled times. I especially enjoyed the Scavengers track.

    Looking back at some of your older posts, would you still have the following songs to re-post?

    The New Dawn - Why Did You Go / Tears (Garland)
    Unknown IV - Give Me A Chance / What's Gonna Happen (JCP)

    Cheers! Aidan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aidan. Thank you for your comments. I have all the recordings for the 45's I have posted on the blog. I update the older post periodically. When I get the time I will see what I can do on your request. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice ones bro, I take Michael the Minutemen, and the marvelous Depoe Drifters (I have Soul on Fire which is an innocent instro , could it be the sam gang , from TN?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael. Nice to hear from you. Glad you enjoy these oldies. I posted the Depoe Drifters flip Side "Soul On Fire" back in January 2017. When I was digging around the boxes of vinyl last month I happen to see the record again and gave it spin. I'm not sure why I didn't post "Sweet Sweet Love" back then. It's cool song. Thank you for your comments.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to tell you Michael. I updated the Johnny Jay post from December 2011. Johnny was very kind, before his death he sent me an unreleased recording. I update the post with his song. Check it out. Have a good one

      Delete
  4. Great groovy shit. MANY thousands of thanx.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we have the Scavenger's flip, please? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete